Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Finally, An Update

So, this is the first time I've updated our blog in about 6 months... This is why I thought it might be a bad idea for me to try and have a blog. We have been so busy the last six months between work, fixing the house, Jackson on the move, and the best part: growing a baby! I'm over halfway and we couldn't be more excited to welcome another little boy into our family at the end of summer!

Highlights from the last few months:

  • Jeff has been doing really well at work and although it has taken some getting used to his crazy schedule, we really enjoy the freedom it gives us. 
  • We have continued fixing up our house! Slowly, but surely. It's crazy to think we've been here for over a year and a half already. We've repainted, and even though I miss our yellow walls, our blue/gray theme is much more relaxing and easy to match. We also installed carpet downstairs! This was a big deal since we went over a year with cement floors.
  • Jackson has been growing so much! It's hard to believe sometimes that he's not even two years old yet! He is just starting to talk a little more, but he is still signing like crazy. He knows probably well over 100 signs and I think sometimes makes up his own. He knows his colors and loves to point out all the different colors everywhere we go. He is also learning his ABCs in sign and gets really excited to do them.  Jackson loves to be a big help around the house, which makes me feel more confident about having another baby! He loves to sweep, mop, unload the dishwasher and pick up trash. He is also very excited to be a big brother and loves to pat or hug my belly and will run over and pat my belly if we talk about the baby. Jackson still loves to read and is totally into trucks, trains, and anything with water.
  • Pregnancy has been treating me fairly well. I was pretty sick in the beginning, but now I'm mostly just tired. I am carrying very differently and being the second pregnancy growing faster so in a little more pain earlier than I expected. But I'm excited that I haven't gained as much weight so far in this pregnancy! Not that I felt overweight with Jackson, but I definitely gained more weight than I needed to. 
  • As a family we have been trying to make some lifestyle changes. We are starting to use essential oils more and loving the results. Especially because Jackson has been so sick this past flu season. We are also continuing to try and eat healthier. One big way we're trying to do that is cutting back on sugar, which has been especially hard being pregnant! But I found an amazing recipe for granola that I don't feel guilty eating. 
    • Adapted recipe for homemade granola by Sarah Wilson:
      • 2 c nuts (whatever I have on hand, usually walnuts, pecans, and almonds)
      • 2 c instant oats
      • 1/4 c coconut oil, melted
      • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
      • 2 c shredded/shaved coconut
      • 2 T chia seeds
      • A little bit of raw honey
      • Dates, chopped
      • Mix all ingredients together, except dates, and spread evenly over pan. Bake at 250 for 25 minutes. Let cool and add dates.
    • I love this recipe for breakfast and so does Jackson!
    • Original recipe: http://www.sarahwilson.com/2012/08/sugar-free-granola-the-most-popular-recipe-from-my-cookbook/
I have to share one, recent, funny story. We took a family trip to Home Depot the other day and Jackson got super excited when we saw the wheelbarrows.
Me: "Jackson do you see the wheelbarrows?"
Jeff: "What did you say?"
Me: "...Wheel...barrows?" Beginning to feel dumb and embarrassed.
Jeff: "They're wheelbarrels!"
Me: silence and embarrassment
5 minutes later we're walking down another aisle when we see wheels for the wheelbarrels. Jackson gets all excited so we stop and look at them.
Me: "Hey love, come read this sign for me."
They definitely are called wheelbarrows! Jeff had no idea he's gone his whole life saying it wrong! Too funny!

Jackson snuggling with my baby bump

New fashion statement

Jackson's new thing: "cheese!" He thinks he's so funny with his cheesy smile.

In his new big boy bedroom. He's already mastered climbing to look out his window. 

So serious, hanging out with cousin Koa.

Snuggles with Dad!

Cute little heartbreaker on Valentine's Day.


Puppy love! Jackson loves to give the dogs kisses. 

 And play with them.

My little dancer in the making. haha

He loves to water the grass.


Trying to be tough like Daddy! He was trying to lift these 35lb weights. He sure couldn't lift them, but we was still able to move them around! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the update, the new photos, and the granola recipe!

    ReplyDelete